Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions

+2
Davie
Maverick1980
6 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions Empty Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Last night Mrs Mav and I attended a Christmas function which happened to double up with my brother-in-laws 50th birthday at Gillingham Golf Club where my dad holds a membership as well as our own usual club.

To say I/We/All 8 of us that went were disappointed would be an understatement.

To Set the scene that was advertised:

Come along and celebrate the christmas festivities with us at GGC.
Enjoy fine gourmet a la carte food and drinks
Let your hair down and unwind with the post meal disco and entertainment with a whole host of other members and their families...

I could go on listing how they "bigged up" what the evening was meant to be, but I'll now set the scene for the actual evening!

-They'd run out of the wine they were offering as the pre meal drink and were offered nothing in replacement!
-The amount of time it took to get the starters out meant I had finished mine before everyone had got theirs!
-They ran out of Turkey which everyone had pre-ordered so I eneded up having Salmon and my mum and sister the Veggie option as they don't like Salmon
-The Deserts were awful! Xmas pudding was taken off the menu and replaced with Pear in mulled wine which no-one eat! So we all ended up with the cheese board which didn't come with enough cheese to feed a 1 year old!

The entertainment was a DJ who spent the whole time setting up next to us as we were eating instead of being setup pre meal to allow Diners to enjoy their meals instead any subtle evening chat was interspersed with clanging and loud music and the word "testing".

The funniest part about mingling with other members for an evening of merriment! Including our table of 8 there were a grand total of 21 diners/party goers in a room design for 400! Like throwing a sausage down an alleyway! It was this lack of diners that made not having the wine and running out of certain meal items astaounding it was like they had run out through volume of numbers it was clearly a case of not bothering to order in enough food and wine!

To make matters worse we paid £35 a head as advertised in our menus yet when I went to the gents they had posters up advertising the evening for £23!!!!

To say once I saw that I complained is an understatement originailly I was going to let it lie as my dad being a member didn't want to cause any awkwardness but we all overpaid by £12 and were given a excuse my french piss poor service!.

Not even a hint of money back, money of the bar tab which I paid and came to £300 quid(my family like a drink) not even the decency to offer us some form of discount on a future meal!!!!!

They've not heard the end of it at the very least to a man I want the difference in the price advertised refunded.

Rant over thanks for listening, if your going to a Golf Club Xmas function hope your experience is better than ours was!
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions Empty Re: Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions

Post by Davie Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Sounds a total shambles, Mav. You should get some sort of discount at least for items that you had pre-ordered or were supposed to be included in the price which they failed to deliver

Could the difference in price perhaps be for members/non-members? That could explain the price, but not the shocking service

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions Empty Re: Golf Clubs - Should not Cater for Xmas Functions

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Shambles wasn't the word Davie it was diabolical also whoever heard of a roast/xmas dinner with no roast tatties!

I did think that myself about the price so before I left I read the poster again and the menu when we got home nowhere does it state theirs a members price if that were the case then my dad should have paid £23quid but he was charged £35 as well.

Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Shocking Mav - just goes to show what we all know, that in the main all parts of golf club activities are run by shambolic amateurs, who rely on a captive audience. Although looking at the numbers attending, obviously other members knew something that you did not!!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketfan90 Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm

shambles shame really.

cricketfan90

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:03 am

That's Gillingham Golf Club all over been to a few functions there myself as you say very piss poor. The only function they do well is the annual quiz night which is great and well attended ( which makes the evening)

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 am

Del_Boy wrote:That's Gillingham Golf Club all over been to a few functions there myself as you say very piss poor. The only function they do well is the annual quiz night which is great and well attended ( which makes the evening)

Have to say remember going to those as a kid, was a member there as a junior and dad used to arrange for a family team to enter didn't realise they still did them. He has GGC as his 2nd club so he tends to play it in the week as he is now retired so I don't go up there much.

May have to get him to see when next one is, Delboy maybe we could get a V2 quiz team up there
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:18 am

Maverick1980 wrote:
Del_Boy wrote:That's Gillingham Golf Club all over been to a few functions there myself as you say very piss poor. The only function they do well is the annual quiz night which is great and well attended ( which makes the evening)

Have to say remember going to those as a kid, was a member there as a junior and dad used to arrange for a family team to enter didn't realise they still did them. He has GGC as his 2nd club so he tends to play it in the week as he is now retired so I don't go up there much.

May have to get him to see when next one is, Delboy maybe we could get a V2 quiz team up there

Sounds good - they are normally held end of October/ early Nov. I normally go with my neighbours who has been a member up there for years.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 am

Sounds like a plan. Whose your neighbour likely I know him as I was a junior there, dads been a member 30years and still go back there now and again
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 am

You probably do he is a scouser called Danny Dan. Big Evertonian. I'll let you know when the quiz is on next year

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:48 am

I hate xmas dinners at functions like this or even run of the mill restaurants - they are always a let down. I don't recall liking one xmas meal that wasn't home made.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 am

Del_Boy wrote:You probably do he is a scouser called Danny Dan. Big Evertonian. I'll let you know when the quiz is on next year

Dan, the window cleaning fella if I remember him rightly. Alsways used to take his dog a 7iron and couple balls to knock about Luton Rec. Played with him when I was a junior in a mens comp. My old man knows him pretty well, used to play a lot with a fella called Eric who used to drive a black cab!

Small world.....
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:32 am

That's the fella. He hasn't played for around 18 months had a hip replacement and now needs a knee op

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 am

Del_Boy wrote:That's the fella. He hasn't played for around 18 months had a hip replacement and now needs a knee op

Wasn't aware of that, will have to let my oldman know he's due a new hip shortly! Ironically I saw Dan about 3 weeks ago in Morrisons, he gave me that "I know you look but why can't I put my finger on how"

If I remember rightly he played a few games for the B team around the time I passed through the team as a 14year old with my handicap on its way down! His swing and his general appearance would give the look of Philip Walton a pretty uncanny resemblance especially as he always wore a visor!
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:48 am

Maverick1980 wrote:His swing and his general appearance would give the look of Philip Walton a pretty uncanny resemblance especially as he always wore a visor!

Very good

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:52 am

Take that as agreement then ;)
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:54 am

Yep.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down