Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yardages and those doppler radar things.

4 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

Yardages and those doppler radar things. Empty Yardages and those doppler radar things.

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:51 pm

I recently went for a check-up on my irons and the shafts I was using in them.

In order to do this I visited a fitting place which had one of the trackman(?) tools and also the mizuno fitting cart. The process was fascinating, particularly the DNA thing on the mizuno club. The stats that the DNA thing provided show that I was using the wrong shaft but also that I had a fairly consistent swing in certain areas. Swingspeed and toe down were incredibly consistent to my mind being within 2 mph and 1 point on the toe down (which measures how much the shaft flexes downwards during the swing). At any rate I now have softer shafts in my irons at rifle 6.5.... must be getting old.

Next is the trackman. It was good seeing launch angles and things like that, as well as smash factor (1.35 on a six iron is apparently pretty damn fine)... but I do not believe the yardages!

I highly recommend this process to anyone looking to identify the best fit for them but also for a tune up to their equipment. And it is a nice toy to play with as well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Yardages and those doppler radar things. Empty Re: Yardages and those doppler radar things.

Post by 1grumpygolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:11 pm

LJ I think D4S had a go on the mizuno DNA thingy recently and also Matelot or Tarka (can't remember which, sorry) they both seemed to think the DNA thingy was flawed. Maybe it wasn't and it was just being "analysed" by someone trying to sell what they had in stock.

I need to get a tune up on mine but wrong time if year for me now. Starting to get flipping cold and more of that white stuff coming down from the sky too. Start of next season lofts and lies plus new grips. Christ April seems a long way off.

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Yardages and those doppler radar things. Empty Re: Yardages and those doppler radar things.

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 pm

My guy was very very good. He talked me through the fitting and the numbers and showed me what was there. I hit some shots on the trackman with my own sticks then he put a club together with the specs that the dna thing came up with (taking into account that I didn't like the PX so he used a standard rifle at the correct length) and the difference was instant. In addition they didn't even try to sell me a new set. They asked me what I wanted, new shafts, fitted me very well and then sent them away for replacement and I had the clubs back in my hands three days later with the guy doing the fitting delivering them to their man and then picking them up and bringing them to me. They also put the wrong grips on and cut those off while I waited and refit my preferred option at no extra cost. What was wrong with the grips I hear you ask? They had a rib and I prefer round. I see that as being exceptional service!

As for the others not seeing a benefit.... Perhaps the guys you mention just can't hit it? lol!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Ha ha, maybe the Ginger sapped D4S's mojo. He likes a ribbed grip too apparently.

You and Mav always seem to be tweaking something or other. Do you think your changes that you've made so far will get you where you want to be?

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes, indeed I did. Very interesting bit of kit, it emulates a 6 iron (at least, thats what the spotty oik in AG told me) and my swing speed was 77mph which is reasonable. Spotty oik told me I needed Rifle 4.5 shafts which are very soft! In summer I hit my 6 iron around the 165-170 mark which whilst not long, it aint short either. My last driver fitting had my swingspeed very definitely (but only just) in the stiff category.

So yes, I suspect that either the kit or the software or the spotty oik was flawed, not sure which.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:28 pm

1grumpygolfer wrote:Ha ha, maybe the Ginger sapped D4S's mojo. He likes a ribbed grip too apparently.

You and Mav always seem to be tweaking something or other. Do you think your changes that you've made so far will get you where you want to be?

Grumps.. It came out of my teacher mentioning that I looked hunched at address and impact and he added length to one of my shafts. It was a bit too much so I went for this as a trial option. The results have been good so far, although I might tweak with the grip size to make it a bit thinner. I'm definately getting a better ball flight with it so far and less of a thump down onto the back of the ball. I'm also finding it a lot easier to work the ball both ways when swinging well which is a massive benefit for me.

Hopefully if I can carry it through to the rest of my game it will show in my scoring... but ultimately this was a change I made to support the swing rebuild I'm going through. So it's hard to see if it's the clubs or the swing that is causing what I'm seeing.

I do know that I'm hitting it further though and have a more consistent divot shape which leads me to believe things are getting better.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Can't be you D4S. Must be spotty oik.

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:31 pm

1grumpygolfer wrote:Can't be you D4S. Must be spotty oik.

I dunno... He is a bit of a tapper. He couldn't even get up on his 200 odd yard par 3! I had to wake up and do the work for him on that hole. What a joke expecting your guest to score during your better ball round! <whistle>
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 pm

LJ I'd love to have the time to work on my game. This year for a multitude of reasons I didn't move the handicap down. I think I'm going to tap you and Mav up for some practice pointers, not sure there is much point now as everything is closing around here for the winter. I might check out Chelsea Piers in New York to see what it's like. I may be able to keep my hand in there if it's a good setup.

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Yeah I still feel guilty about that LJ, I didn't expect you to have to contribute that day, just walk round and enjoy the scenery afro
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 pm

It's called ham and egging I believe... Although I didn't expect to have to get to it on such a long par 3... Funny look on the others guys faces though... You've been useless all morning and then you birdie that when he's looking at a 4/5. Something ain't right here! lol!

good guys though and a nice day.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:46 am

drive4show wrote:Yes, indeed I did. Very interesting bit of kit, it emulates a 6 iron (at least, thats what the spotty oik in AG told me) and my swing speed was 77mph which is reasonable. Spotty oik told me I needed Rifle 4.5 shafts which are very soft! In summer I hit my 6 iron around the 165-170 mark which whilst not long, it aint short either. My last driver fitting had my swingspeed very definitely (but only just) in the stiff category.

So yes, I suspect that either the kit or the software or the spotty oik was flawed, not sure which.

Drive - I've seen you hit a ball and the oik is definitely WRONG - I had you down at least 79mph lol!
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:49 am

NST

79 with a 5 iron, I sneakily swapped clubs while you weren't looking ;-)
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down