Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My take on things...

+5
Mary
Mercurio
LondonJonnyO
1grumpygolfer
Davie
9 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

My take on things... Empty My take on things...

Post by Davie Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 am

posted this on the other thread but it seems in danger of being swamped.

Can we use this thread to decide what (if anything) is to be done

I wasn't going to even bother here but there are some things to be said

Firstly, I have to agree 100% with Mav's post. Likewise, I received no warnings, no PMs, nothing about this until I suddenly found that I couldn't log in anymore.

Much was made in the last couple of days about warnings but once again it seems three people have been banned permanently without warning. It's no secret I've been critical of the admin team over there - TBH it has been that way ever since I was "invited" to resign as an admin after all I did for the forum

Secondly, the reason I wasn't going to bother here but wanted to set the record straight; the other forum says that I was granted such an elevated status here was because it was my wish to leave. This is in fact more of Hobo's bullshit. Only earlier today I had posted that I had no desire to leave as the good on 606v2 outweighed the bad. However, twice now in two days the admins had made good efforts towards bridge building (first with the consultative PM group which although some people disagreed, was meant with good intent, and then with the appointment of a new mod that we all could respect). In both cases the good work was undone with either provocative or patronising messages from the admins (usually Hobo, but occasionally other admins)

As to this place - as someone else said, they've given us the keys to the house but not the booze cupboard. I have no intention of contributing here except to discuss the events of today. Hobo and his buddies seem to think they have done us a favour (actually I don't believe that for a moment - they are just taking the piss). They think that by setting up a forum for us, they can leave us slag them off, while still retaining control. No admin passwords have been divulged and all Merc and I can do is "mod" the forum.

I have no real desire to be a "leader" in any breakout - but the fact is I do have the knowledge and web experience to set up an alternative forum - it's not that difficult and to be honest I'd rather someone else did it. If however no one else wants to or has the time to, I am prepared to create our own alternative forum. Some will stay on the old place - some may take up dual membership; from what I've read so far there are enough people disillusioned with v2 that a new forum may be viable - but this place IS NOT IT.

I still want a place to discuss golf. V2 appears to be not an option for me, despite the fact I broke no rules. If others are happy to stick with V2 then fine - I'll continue to email grumps with my eclectic scores and I'd hope to be informed of any upcoming meetups in my area. If someone wants to set up another golf forum, or (if necessary) wants me to set one up, then I'm all for it.

But at risk of repeating myself, this place should NOT be an option - the clowns from V2 still hold the keys and I won't be part of that - we can't even change the ghastly colour scheme!

I'd like to think Hero was reading this place too - he was the founder of V2 and basically one of the good guys though he got to the point where he couldn't deal with the shit that was going on there (who can blame him?) and appointed the Hobonater and Why-No-Man as his trusty lieutenants. Both are power mad pricks and don't have a clue what they are doing. I'd appeal to Hero to tighten the leash on his puppydogs but I've made that appeal in the past and he really can't be arsed.

So let's hear what people want. This place should be left to die a death - but not before we use it to decide what people want. If most are happy to stay at the old place, then I'm fine with that. If we want a place of our own, and can drag enough people from V2 to make that place a ghost town, then we should go it alone

I'd like to hear what people want

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

My take on things... Empty Re: My take on things...

Post by 1grumpygolfer Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 am

Davie, if big brother is watching then it is time to foxtrot oscar onto 606v4. 606v2 can't have it both ways. Just let me know where, I don't want to end up like Doc

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:31 am

The question to me is one of migration to a new location... i've been on golf monthly but hardly to the level I would post on 606 or v2... or the construction of a new 'home'.

I admit that I like the general posters I've built up both online and offline relationships with but I also like the new people aspect of a maintained forum.

So if pushed I would recommend that people move to a new home... but where is a different question that I have failed to answer during my time away from you all.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:35 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:The question to me is one of migration to a new location... i've been on golf monthly but hardly to the level I would post on 606 or v2... or the construction of a new 'home'.

I admit that I like the general posters I've built up both online and offline relationships with but I also like the new people aspect of a maintained forum.

So if pushed I would recommend that people move to a new home... but where is a different question that I have failed to answer during my time away from you all.

That's probably my preferred option, too.

A few recces are required to find out the best forums in terms of layout and contributors.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:38 am

Don't feel that I'm particularly entitled to an opinion, as I don't really have any history with the original forum, and, as some of you know, I am also a regular poster elsewhere.

If you do decide to set up something else, I would like to be part of it. :)
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:39 am

Mary wrote:Don't feel that I'm particularly entitled to an opinion, as I don't really have any history with the original forum, and, as some of you know, I am also a regular poster elsewhere.

I believe that elsewhere has included Golf Monthly at one point? yes?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:43 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Mary wrote:Don't feel that I'm particularly entitled to an opinion, as I don't really have any history with the original forum, and, as some of you know, I am also a regular poster elsewhere.

I believe that elsewhere has included Golf Monthly at one point? yes?

Yes, I post on there sometimes, but mainly on Golf Magic. Hope I can mention another forum without getting banned!! ;)
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:45 am

Mary, as you know a few of us logged into GM yesterday, but my experience wasn't that good. Seemed welcoming enough, but maybe the layout isn't that good, I don't know?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:47 am

Doc wrote:Mary, as you know a few of us logged into GM yesterday, but my experience wasn't that good. Seemed welcoming enough, but maybe the layout isn't that good, I don't know?

It's not great Doc... but the Golf Monthly place does have the advantage of being associated with the mag. Which means that they give stuff away, have people fitted as part of a 'reader panel' and things like that.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 am

Doc wrote:Mary, as you know a few of us logged into GM yesterday, but my experience wasn't that good. Seemed welcoming enough, but maybe the layout isn't that good, I don't know?

Yes, they re-vamped and changed the lay-out a couple of months ago. A lot of the regulars (including me) didn't like it, but I guess that you stick with the people you know, so not that many actually left in the end.

Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:59 am

My thoughts exactly
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:07 am

Mary wrote:

Yes, they re-vamped and changed the lay-out a couple of months ago. A lot of the regulars (including me) didn't like it, but I guess that you stick with the people you know, so not that many actually left in the end.

I like the winking pussy, Mary. It reminds me of Thailand.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 am

LOL! I got it from the Avatar gallery on here - was quite difficult to find something which looked remotely normal. :roll:
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

Whatever we do or wherever we go i;m in, if a project needs funding i'm here all you need is ask
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:21 pm

OK it's looking like enough people may be interested in a different site - even the double dippers are welcome and many have expressed the opinion that they will see which forum has the most action before deciding.

We mostly seem to agree that this isn't the place (apart from anything else, the horrid colour scheme they've left us with is something we can't change and it's not very work friendly!

As I stated earlier, I have no real desire to be an overloard - though I'm happy to assist and set something up IF THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE WANT.

It could be another forum here on forumotion or I know of a couple of other places that host free forums

Maybe a few people could take a quick peek at this forum http://rockrefuge.proboards.com/ (it's a music forum - I'm not touting for members, it's a pretty quiet site and you can view it as a guest - I'm just looking for opinions on whether that sort of layout is what people could live with - and also to see if anyone has trouble getting to that site from work.

We'd need a name (v4golf seems popular at the moment) but open to suggestions. I'd also propose it was mainly for golf with perhaps just an announcements section, a golf section and an "anything goes" section. If enough interest we could set up an "other sports" section too as I know a few people like to discuss other sports too but I wouldn't propose at the moment to set up an all-sports forum. The double-dippers are of course still free to post about other sports on the dark side (as long as they don't upset the admins)

The important thing IMO is we get away from this place as quickly as possible

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:25 pm

i like lime green
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 pm

It may match your strides but it's not very work safe!

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:53 pm

Not at all.

Any boss walking past and looking at that sort of screen will think

"There is no way they would be subjecting themselves to that for pleasure"

meaning it gets ignored as something so awful must be work or why do it to your eyes.

Incidentally... Is it advertising to advertise their own breakaway site so that we nick everyone?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm in - 'They can take away our forum but they will never take away our freedom!' cheers
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down