Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

+24
Mercurio
venice1
Yadsendew
Maverick1980
LondonJonnyO
JohnnyH
Redrage
Rats
cricketfan90
diggers
oldshanker
Mary
Noshankingtonite
Del_Boy
ChrisGG
1grumpygolfer
hogie
faldono1fan
Gareth_NI
drive4show
navyblueshorts
JDandFries
Bob_the_job
Davie
28 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND - Page 2 Empty OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:57 am

First topic message reminder :

(and let's try to keep this one on topic as I believe it's important!)

As Hobo's Heros decided that it was myself, mav and merc that were the cause of all this, I've asked their opinions so far on this but we've all agreed it needs opening up to everyone.

We need a decision and we need it fairly quickly before everyone gets too settled here to be bothered moving again

Question 1 is "Do we just stay here now we have the keys or do we disassociate completely"

My own opinion is that we need to move on to break any association with 606v2 - even though they have no powers here anymore this place is still loosely attached to them. I'd say we move

If the answer to question 1 is "move" then question two is ... where to?

I have set up a couple of test sites - one on forumotion and one on proboards that I've used before

http://v4golf.proboards.com
http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk/

Please take a look at them and lets try to decide what we all think. Don't get too hung up on colours or forum layout - that can all be changed - its more how comfortable we feel with them and the features they provide

For my thoughts, the forumotion has slightly more features, but proboards are more reliable. forumotion have been known to mess people about (look what they did to 606v2!) and I've used proboards for years. However as I said, forumotion do offer a few more features

Please guys - for once lets try to keep this on topic and get some sort of agreement as soon as possible. Both test forums are open to membership but you don't need to sign up just to look about. If we decide not to use one or both of them, then they will be deleted so don't put any important content up there yet

Last edited by Davie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND - Page 2 Empty Re: OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I think I can change the names of the test places I've set up. Getting a more personalized domain name can be done at our leisure once we're set up

I've temporarily changed the name of the forumotion test forum to

http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk/

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND - Page 2 Empty Re: OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 pm

ok. now to advertise that on the other side.... <whistle>
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Don't do that LJ - no one there yet! tongue

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35 pm

I really think that 'Bella' should be in the name somewhere silent

Seriously though, something like 19th-hole or Spike Bar has a good traditional golfing feel to it.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Much as I enjoy talking to all of the present posters on this site. I think it is essential that any name we choose has the best chance of bringing in new blood. Otherwise this site will shine brightly for a short period and then go stale.

I think golf has to be in the name somewhere and when I have searched in the past I have used forum as well. But golfforum has already gone.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:38 am

drive4show wrote:I really think that 'Bella' should be in the name somewhere silent

Seriously though, something like 19th-hole or Spike Bar has a good traditional golfing feel to it.

I like the Spike Bar

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:23 am

Spike bar golf forum has a good ring to it and people will associate it with golf chat if they come across it
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:59 am

Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Spike Bar Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:11 am

The Spike Bar sounds better to me.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:37 am

Having spent a year or so in Holland the Spike Bar means something slightly different and marginally eyewatering to me.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:50 am

Do Americans have Spike Bars?

I assume so, but just wondering.

The golfer's room at our place (as it's a Golf & Country Club) is known as The Snug.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:53 am

They call them 'grills', from my experience they seldom stay for a drink afterwards.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:59 am

Merc,

Never heard of the expression before.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:26 am

The Spikes Bar sounds good to me!

Wasn't The Snug where Ena Sharples used to hang out in The Rovers Return?? (showing my age!)
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:34 am

Never mind the bleedin' name. How are we going to be able to attract new posters down the line?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:36 am

I have a plan around that gael... but the others are not interested in what I can provide as a pictorial "mascot"
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:39 am

The thing is LJ, your plan is going to be very NSFW. I certainly wouldn't want to open it up and suddenly find your "mascot" on the screen and seconds later my boss walks in.

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:40 am

I was planning on wearing a disguise. Sort of
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 am

If you call it the 19th hole all golfers know what that is, a place to seek refuge from the harsh course and drown you sorrows if you are playing badly or a place to brag after a good round.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Read the green Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:45 am

This all seams to be a massive fuss over nothing and considdering the ages of most people here id say everywan was been a bit pathetic!

Just my view..

Read the green

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 am

Read the green wrote:This all seams to be a massive fuss over nothing and considdering the ages of most people here id say everywan was been a bit pathetic!

Just my view..

Fair enough. But how does that have to do with the OP? Or maybe you have a constructive idea that addresses the matter at hand for the rest of us to mull over?

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 am

Read the green wrote:This all seams to be a massive fuss over nothing and considdering the ages of most people here id say everywan was been a bit pathetic!

Just my view..

Go back to v2 boxing. You've been rumbled

As far as the name goes, LJ is right. Golf-chat or nineteenth hole or anything like that is fine - it's the search tags (which can be set up correctly) which will attract google

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:36 am

What about: bbc 606 golf forum? Understand that name is not in use and the first 3 letters would draw some attention. affraid

Maybe:
19thholegolf.co.uk
19thholegolfforum.co.uk

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:50 am

I'm proposing we stick with http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk/ as it is at the moment - if someone wants to go down the route of buying a custom domain name after that, then fine - but I think we need to move soon so all this drama can be forgotten about and we start afresh just talking about golf (OK - and nurses)

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketfan90 Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 pm

defo leaving this site then?

cricketfan90

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 pm

This highly non techy poster is confused. Am I correct in understanding that this golf.chat forum would be completely out the control of the v2 site? I didn't think this would be possible unless a custom domain was purchased?

Apologies in advance for my stoopid questions!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:17 am

Gael - no question is stoopid if you don't know the answer.

As it stands, even this place is (now) out of the control of the v2 site (since they haned over the keys and I changed the password so they can't get in as admin anymore)

The domain name has nothing to do with their control. All that does is make it more recognizable.

As someone else said it also doesn't need to be just down to a name - a site can have "tags" that google will recognize so we could call ourselves whatever we want but google would still recognize the tags.

We could even change the name (and URL) of this place and just stay here but many of us want a clean break to stop them even saying "they made their home in a site we set up for them"

I'm still pushing for a quick change to the new place suggested - hopefully in the next day or so - what does everyone else think?

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:47 am

I am happy to move with the rest of you
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:53 am

Davie - I'm happy to move on - there's 47 of us registered on here already and have no doubt that number will quickly mutiply bounce
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 am

Noshankingtonite wrote:Davie - I'm happy to move on - there's 47 of us registered on here already and have no doubt that number will quickly mutiply bounce

Agreed and after looking into the dark side, it all seems very quiet except for wizzard 1. Kwini's dipping in here from time to time, and we had this with him and Venice when we moved from the beeb, it took Kwini ages to get involved. I'm convinced that he'll come once he realises there's more members, posts, contributors and good threads on this side.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:18 pm

OK here's what I propose - we stick with http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk/
for the moment (name can be changed or a domain name "bought" for it later)

I propose we start moving TODAY. Get registered over there and let's start posting and get back to golf

What I also propose is that some time today I will make a sub-category here and move ALL the posts from the golf section into there - and set them as read-only so that people can reference them and copy/paste them to the new place if they wish to - but to stop people posting here so we can get everyone over as quickly as possible. Then this main forum will just have ONE article on it telling people where we have gone

Unless I hear any objections I'll do this later today - we'll also need to discuss the questions of admins on the new place. I'm happy to hand over once we've got it all sorted out but I'm also happy to help run the new place - but I think we'll need at least one more admin

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandFries Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Good idea davie, as I said before I'm happy to help as an admin as I have plenty of spare time, but would only do so if the majority were happy for me to do this. I'm out xmas shopping again at moment mrs mav clearly thinks my wallett is bottomless but will register this evening after my skype chat with mr haines
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm

So when do we sign up, as i've just had a look but the place is empty at the minute?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Sign up straight away, Doc - I'm starting to populate it with some basic articles at the moment but I don't want them all started by me! The sooner we get some articles posted there, the better

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm registered over there will get the et weekly up tonight
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:18 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:Good idea davie, as I said before I'm happy to help as an admin as I have plenty of spare time, but would only do so if the majority were happy for me to do this. I'm out xmas shopping again at moment mrs mav clearly thinks my wallett is bottomless but will register this evening after my skype chat with mr haines

Happy for Maverick to take on the role.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2