Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

+24
Mercurio
venice1
Yadsendew
Maverick1980
LondonJonnyO
JohnnyH
Redrage
Rats
cricketfan90
diggers
oldshanker
Mary
Noshankingtonite
Del_Boy
ChrisGG
1grumpygolfer
hogie
faldono1fan
Gareth_NI
drive4show
navyblueshorts
JDandFries
Bob_the_job
Davie
28 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND Empty OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:57 am

(and let's try to keep this one on topic as I believe it's important!)

As Hobo's Heros decided that it was myself, mav and merc that were the cause of all this, I've asked their opinions so far on this but we've all agreed it needs opening up to everyone.

We need a decision and we need it fairly quickly before everyone gets too settled here to be bothered moving again

Question 1 is "Do we just stay here now we have the keys or do we disassociate completely"

My own opinion is that we need to move on to break any association with 606v2 - even though they have no powers here anymore this place is still loosely attached to them. I'd say we move

If the answer to question 1 is "move" then question two is ... where to?

I have set up a couple of test sites - one on forumotion and one on proboards that I've used before

http://v4golf.proboards.com
http://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk/

Please take a look at them and lets try to decide what we all think. Don't get too hung up on colours or forum layout - that can all be changed - its more how comfortable we feel with them and the features they provide

For my thoughts, the forumotion has slightly more features, but proboards are more reliable. forumotion have been known to mess people about (look what they did to 606v2!) and I've used proboards for years. However as I said, forumotion do offer a few more features

Please guys - for once lets try to keep this on topic and get some sort of agreement as soon as possible. Both test forums are open to membership but you don't need to sign up just to look about. If we decide not to use one or both of them, then they will be deleted so don't put any important content up there yet

Last edited by Davie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND Empty Re: OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by Bob_the_job Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:05 am

Q1: Ambivalent - not sure I see an issue here that moving elsewhere would solve, but then I'm not as embedded in the whole flame war/mods/admins thing as others.

Q2: I'd go for reliability over features

Edit:> What do I win for answering first??
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND Empty Re: OK Guys what's it to be - PLEASE READ AND RESPOND

Post by JDandFries Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:08 am

Firstly, can I say I agree, we should move.

Although we have the keys, there is something about it that makes me uneasy, especially given the underhand way in which certain members were excluded from V2, so any association to that, IMO should be severed.

Secondly, I do not have any knowledge on which is best of the two, they both look fine to me, and as long as it is easy to use and organised, and as a poster you can be visible and post freely, I am ok either way.
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:10 am

Gut feel from cursory look round I like the look and feel of the forumotion setup better. It's also what most here are used to, from their 606v2 use that is.

Have no experience of boards hosted by proboards so not sure I can comment on that too much. Not so keen on the feel of it though.

You say forumotion have a habit of messing people around? What sort of messing around?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:12 am

Q1 I don't have any issues or agenda either way. I've not fallen out with the admins on the darkside but I have firmly pledged my allegiance to this site. Personally, I see no real need to move but if others deem it to be for the best then like the good sheep that I am, I'll follow.

Q2 Agree with bob, reliabilty is more important. Also, goes without saying, it MUST be work friendly.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:14 am

Happy to go with the flow.

Have no preference from both examples shown, albeit I'm more used to the forumotion look/feel I don't mind. Happy to leave it up to whomever will be structuring/organising the site.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:14 am

Will go with the flow. I quite understand why people would want to disassociate themselves from 606v2. In terms of an alternative I think forumotion looks the better, but am willing to give proboards a chance if that is the decision.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:24 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
You say forumotion have a habit of messing people around? What sort of messing around?

A couple of reasons for saying that, NBS

One doesn't necessarily apply to us here, but there was the problem v2 h ad with them when they suddenly (and massively) increased the cost of advert removal when the site got busier. That won't apply to us assuming we aren't throwing any money at it and put up with the default adverts.

They also are possibly of a more dubious heritage (far east company I think as opposed to a US one) - though I never personally had any problems with v2 some people reported an increase in junk mail after joining V2. It could just be that forumotion could be a bit more fst and loose with the members' data though I have nothing to back that up.

The other thing is that a small number of people have had forumotion blocked by their place of work. I don't know if proboards suffers the same

Last edited by Davie on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:30 am

I did see a post on V2 which implied you were too lazy to set up the forum so the nice admins in V2 had to do it for you which was obviously bollocks. Clean break is the only way forward.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 am

hogie wrote:I did see a post on V2 which implied you were too lazy to set up the forum so the nice admins in V2 had to do it for you which was obviously bollocks. Clean break is the only way forward.

To be fair I think that was a regular member who said that, who obviously just had the wrong end of the stick

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:33 am

Ta for that Davie. Re. the move/non-move thing, I'm happy to go with the flow. I don't have any specific issues with v2 so happy to defer to those that do/did.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandFries Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:38 am

Incidently, it all seems a bit quiet on the Western Front (V2)
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:39 am

Q1 - Move / stay put: whatever, it's a democracy I'll go with the majority.

Q2 - Which forum: Difficult to tell, more used to forumotion so maybe biased but reliability is key. However like D4S says MUST be work friendly, and avatars of a reasonable size, some of them aren't too work friendly. However based on LP's I wouldn't mind meeting her but I think she photo shopped her picture...

Work friendly, not sure if I got kicked out earlier by work but seem to back in now. Hope I'm not on some sort of IT watchlist

Last edited by 1grumpygolfer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling and punctuation - but please don't embarass me)

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:49 am

No decisions yet - we'll wait for more people to chip in but at the moment I'd say moving is winning over staying and forumotion is looking good for the choice despite a couple of worries

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 am

Davie

Has forumotion got the facility for you to DJ for us in the background when we are on here in the evenings? king
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:53 am

1grumpygolfer wrote:Q1 - Move / stay put: whatever, it's a democracy I'll go with the majority.

Q2 - Which forum: Difficult to tell, more used to forumotion so maybe biased but reliability is key. However like D4S says MUST be work friendly, and avatars of a reasonable size, some of them aren't too work friendly. However based on LP's I wouldn't mind meeting her but I think she photo shopped her picture...

Work friendly, not sure if I got kicked out earlier by work but seem to back in now. Hope I'm not on some sort of IT watchlist

Agree with this. I'm not overly fussed, I'm happy to go with the flow cherry
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:06 am

Not fussed either way

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:23 am

I'll go with the majority, BUT I want all the folk on the site (LJ) etc to be included and I want all the dickheads vetoed!
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:25 am

Noshankingtonite wrote:I'll go with the majority, BUT I want all the folk on the site (LJ) etc to be included and I want all the dickheads vetoed!

I was going to make a smartarsed comment about why veto yourself but then I remembered, for some strange reason I kinda like you tongue
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 am

Nobody likes a smartarse - especially one who drives straight pirat
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:38 am

As has been said many times in the past - I'm easy! flower

(Which means I will go with the flow)
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:42 am

Mary wrote:As has been said many times in the past - I'm easy! flower

(Which means I will go with the flow)

For your own safety, please don't say things like that when Mav is around........
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:27 am

As long as we all go to the same place, either will do.

Do we have any ideas how to attract new people to the new place, otherwise it could quickly become a bit samey.

NST - nice photo, quite a good likeness, but nowhere near as pretty as Mary's winking pussy! There I've said it, now I'm just as bad as that really bad man Mercurio!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:31 am

Dont care much where it is. More interested in how its run really.
diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketfan90 Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

i dont mind, although if u guys want a clean slate then fair enough, im happy to stay here, but its down to you guys.

cricketfan90

Back to top Go down

Post by Rats Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 am

Newbie here.
So, hello and best wishes with your new golf forum.
Do hope it works out well and, with that thought in mind, I would imagine that a move to a new site would be best. Liken it to a divorce, if you will, with a new beginning.
Have also registered on the other site as well with football being my other interest.
As for choice of of proboard v forumotion, sorry but do not have any knowledge of either to make a comment on.

P.S. Will you be keeping the same name for your golf forum or, if moving, starting afresh with a new name not associated with v2 ?

Rats

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:00 am

I am happy to go along with the majority with regards to which forum to move to (if at all).

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 am

Seems no one is really prepared to stick their neck out here and it's looking like someone is going to have to make a decision

I'll leave it a little longer to see if anyone comes forward; I really don't want to be seen as some sort of dictator here (we had enough of that over there)

At the moment it's looking like http://v4golf.forumotion.co.uk/ will be our new home (nice that is has a .co.uk domain though we still want people from all over the world to join in)

Let's see how the next 24 hours go but if the situation remains how it is at the moment I propose a move en masse there. Next question will be admins and mods. I have already set the site up but I'm happy to hand over if that's what the majority want. I'm also quite happy to keep going - you people must decide.

I'd like to nominate Mav as another admin but again you people must decide - we may also want a mod or two (or even another admin). Would anyone like to volunteer or shall we just see how it goes?

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyH Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:19 am

Hey, Ive a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets all grow up and not be so pathetic.....FFS!

John

JohnnyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:25 am

What's your problem John? Who is the pathetic one here?

Mav and myself were dumped without any notice or warning; Merc may or may have had a reason to be dumped and we'll probably never know (personally I think he was as badly treated as anyone)

The admins of V2 decided to cast us adrift - pretending to set this place up for us in a fit of generosity (most of them don't know their ass from their elbow if the truth be known)

So, cast adrift and with quite a few followers already, what are we supposed to do? Thank them for their generosity?

All we are doing here is looking for opinions on what is the best alternative. If you'd like to be a part of that, then welcome - if not then the door is over there

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:31 am

I think we need a "tosser" smiley! Sleep
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 am

It just would be nice once in a while for some people to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:35 am

Davie wrote:It just would be nice once in a while for some people to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem

After just over 24 hours I would say that you guys have come up with lots of solutions, and the "problems" will soon get bored!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 am

Not really bothered Davie. Although as I say a new place would need a way to grow it's user footprint. I like the idea of this domain name and then paying google to throw us up in searches ahead of the other place.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:42 am

Ok I'm back! Alive breathing and severly depleted of funds from hellwater(bluewater) may have to step up the work bext year and worl 17weeks instead of 16!

Mary did you say you were easy..... Where do you live again!!!!!

My 2penneth!

Q1.as I said to davie I feel we need to move on 2 counts firstly that this was setup by the pig swill that is hobo and by remaining he can gloat (stroke his man sausage) over the fact he put us here! Mind you its like early australia the criminals banished to a foreign land, end with better weather, better exonomy and hotter chicks (mary & LP) ;)

Secondly if in future we look to gain new members which would be good and healthy any google search will bring up V2 rather than here as by association we have v2 in our name and may feel were part of that mob!

As to where I don't mind but if everyone is happy to move I'm happy to help set it up/fund a move be a damn site cheaper than shopping with my mrs
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:14 am

Davie wrote:Seems no one is really prepared to stick their neck out here and it's looking like someone is going to have to make a decision

I'll stick my neck out then... V4 is too close to V2. Bin that as well as this place. How about The 19th Hole or The Clubhouse, lets pitch some ideas in regarding names.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:16 am

The 19th hole will permanently remind me of that photo of the streaker.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 am

Redrage wrote:
Davie wrote:Seems no one is really prepared to stick their neck out here and it's looking like someone is going to have to make a decision

I'll stick my neck out then... V4 is too close to V2. Bin that as well as this place. How about The 19th Hole or The Clubhouse, lets pitch some ideas in regarding names.

Very good point that
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:27 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:The 19th hole will permanently remind me of that photo of the streaker.
We could use that as an icon for the site.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:31 am

I would prefer my see through strides, in my christmassy posing pouch (red, shiny and with a bit of tinsel on the arsecheek area) for the site photo/mascot.

But apparently others feel this would be offputting.

As for names. How about calling it after a pub-type approach. The Wedge and Nurse?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 am

Is it me or is there no easy way of finding this Forum without actually having a link?

Literally being 'set up' or should it have read 'been set up'.

Sadly, I'm very disappointed in the lack of professionalism and the vindictive and juvenile manner in which this whole episode has been dealt with by the Admin on the other side which has led to this. One thing for sure, in my view, even with the quality of posters on here, it will be suffocated by the lack of easy access / communication unless a new site / identity can be established.
Yadsendew
Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Rats Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:21 am

Maverick1980 wrote:
Redrage wrote:

Very good point that

Golf-alley; Golf-dude; Golf-mad; Bunker Golf; Your Honour.
Do not like the last one, but am used to saying it. silent

Rats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:39 am

SOSGolf?....

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 am

something simple

golf-forum.co.uk

Would show up in google searches pretty well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:13 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:something simple

golf-forum.co.uk

Would show up in google searches pretty well.

Good point LJ - would we have to go with .co.uk; could we not use .net or .org instead to get a more universal appeal scratch
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:15 am

.net sounds like something you lot use in your dodgy post-curry clubs to catch unwilling females! and .org is more associated with charitable places... but I'm easy with it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 am

Regarding the .Domain, you could setup the free forum then lease a/any Domain name from Forumotion (or indeed lease one privately) just a matter then of configuring a redirect so the free forum and leased domain are working in tandem. Could be .com, .net, .info whatever really.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:29 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:.net sounds like something you lot use in your dodgy post-curry clubs to catch unwilling females! and .org is more associated with charitable places... but I'm easy with it.

Are you saying we're not charitable? I'd say we were very charitable when we all handed over a fiver each to SmithersJones for his outrageous Barnet banditry pirat I'm pretty sure we can use the words 'golf' 'forum' or 'chatroom' or something in such a way as to be able to add .com on the end. There must be some domains left in tharm thar hills study
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Good point by Redrage regarding the name. If V4 came up on a google search it probably wouldn't lure me in. I came across Golf Magic when searching for something golf related and have been positing on there for around 4 years.

Unfortunately I don't have any bright ideas at the moment re. an actual title for the forum. confused
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm not that struck on the word 'forum' to be perfectly honest. It sounds a bit exclusive rather than inclusive to me. It's just the sort of 'up your own arse' phrase I'd expect the toffee-nosed gits attending the Nam races this weekend (called Giles or Rupert) to trot out. Can't we find a more accessible word; golf-chat; discuss-golf; golf-matters; all-about-golfI don't know something which will pull us up the rankings. And before the wise-cracks start, NO I'm not 'Diggers in disguise!' Suspect
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next