Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic - Amir Kahn Gets Beat

+2
diggers
Maverick1980
6 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

Off Topic - Amir Kahn Gets Beat Empty Off Topic - Amir Kahn Gets Beat

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Now I took great delight in writing that tagline to this topic.

It was worth staying up late just to see that jumped up, arrogant little gimp get beat.

He is IMO one of the least likeable boxers in modern british boxing history along with David Haye too arrogant and cocky to ever be any good and technically flawed a lot like Haye; relying on speed rather than working on their technique which has more flaws that a high rise building!

So even though I'm not playing golf today am happy to see that he lost, whther the split decision was controversial or not is irrelevant simply should have boxed better and smarter then he could have no complaints
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Off Topic - Amir Kahn Gets Beat Empty Re: Off Topic - Amir Kahn Gets Beat

Post by diggers Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Bit over the top criticsim of Khan Id say but each to their own, dont mind him myself. Havent seen the fight yet but was thinking last night this could be one of those wake up the next day to a shock result fights and so it turned out.
diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Don't think its over the top at all, all you have to do is look at his fight record!

Generally he has fought has beens and also rans which is fine for the eay money and getting your win tally up but whenever he's fought a technically sound boxer he's lost then made excuses afterwards, a lot like Haye!

Kahn criticised the other guys style and for not letting him fight his natiral fight, that is a poor excuse as anyone that's stepped in the ring knows first thing you do is stop the other guy figting and stop their style then you take your openings!
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah, like thats really unique in boxing Mav. I dont think too many 25 year olds have thought as many decent fighters as he has.
Most of them make excuses after a loss, most of them big themselves up. I wouldnt say he was a lot worse than the vast majority.
Anyway, as I said I dont mind him and am sad to see him lose as I hoped he would be the real deal. Clearly he's not as good as a lot of people, probably including himself, thought but again he is hardly unique in that either.
diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 pm

As many decent fighters!!!! The only decent ones he has fought that have not been past it are the ones he's lost too!

Boxing is a showman event they will always big themselves up for the hype but its the lack of class they do it with both here and in the states that just makes a defeat and subsequent excuse look stupid!

Just like Haye and his toes! When in reality he fought a technically superior fighter in Klitschko.

The best thing Kahn can do now is forget big fights and step back with Freddie Roachand say clearly my style isn't delivering the results against good tactical boxers how do we add guile to my style, then with his speed Kahn could be very good. Any talk of a Mayweather fight which Kahn keeps trying to talk up is ridiculous Mayweather is an arrogant prat but is a superb boxer bothe technically and mentally in his weight division(s) one of the best ever seen.

Couple good fighters coming through though in Kell Brook and Tom Dallas. One that's hugely overrated and marketed though is Tyson Fury.
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:17 pm

I find it a bit amusing that you can slate Khan and then big up Brook who has literally thought nobody and is not exactly a novice pro.
Fact is you can pick holes in pretty much anyones record of you want to. At least Khan had the cojones to step in with someone like Madaina when he supposedly has no chin.
Haye didnt have the tools to beat Klitschko but he was a very good cruiser, just not big enough as a heavy. Again hardly unique, he had to big himself up to hype the fight. Personally I dont think he is a bad bloke but fair enough, I dislike a lot of sportsmen and clearly you arent a Khan or a Haye fan. Your perogative.
diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by cricketfan90 Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 pm

he started off well, however the points he got docked cost him. if he hadnt been docked points he would have won the fight. That being said, peterson fought very well, and im not sure many people expected khan to lose.

cricketfan90

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 am

Maverick1980 wrote:As many decent fighters!!!! The only decent ones he has fought that have not been past it are the ones he's lost too!

Sorry, Mav... that really isn't the case. Maidana is excellent, Zab Judah was still a titleholder and was a pound for pound contender not so long ago, he'd only been stopped once before Khan stopped him. Kotelynk was a legit champ and even beat Maidana on a split decision. The very fact the Yanks rate him should be enough to settle the debate, they seldom like British fighters. He is too cocky and it was his undoing last night, if his brains were dynamite... he couldn't blow his bunnet off. It has been his problem since day one, he has no patience and limited ring craft.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

RR - appreciate your points but imo Kahn is hugely overrated one thing I would agree on is the fact if he could sort his brain out then Freddie Roach would have a good student to work with as his impatience stops him stepping up a level he thinks he's already at!

Regarding Kel Brook yes his career seems similar thus far to Kahn but 3 big differences.
1) he has not had the exposure yet to get him the big fights whereas Kahns olympic medal opens a lot more doors in early career.
2)He is more technially sound and his ring craft and presence are more patient and precise
3) He's not as cocky! Could change with more wins but who knows!

One guy I was impressed with having watch him recently is Chris Eubank Jr. Seemed very technically sound, knew when to pick his shots and what shots to pick and when to move. He was patient and only made the shots that would count.
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:00 pm

I have always had a lot of time for the kid, but think some of the problems revolve around his camp. When he first turned pro' his dad was manager, a brother and 2 cousins were all involved, and then he went down the road of self promotion, (After binning Warren) before signing with Freddie Roach and Oscar Delahoya's circus. Ricky Hatton left Warren to do his own thing and it never worked.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:One guy I was impressed with having watch him recently is Chris Eubank Jr. Seemed very technically sound, knew when to pick his shots and what shots to pick and when to move. He was patient and only made the shots that would count.

There is some good you tube videos of him doing some pad work with Floyd Mayweather snr, he has terrific speed. He also seems to have the right attitude having gone over to the states and getting a broad boxing education. His dad was fantastic and had one of the best chins in business, if he can let his boxing do the talking the British public will really take to him in ways they didn't really do with his dad until he was past his prime.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:RR - appreciate your points but imo Kahn is hugely overrated one thing I would agree on is the fact if he could sort his brain out then Freddie Roach would have a good student to work with as his impatience stops him stepping up a level he thinks he's already at!

Regarding Kel Brook yes his career seems similar thus far to Kahn but 3 big differences.
1) he has not had the exposure yet to get him the big fights whereas Kahns olympic medal opens a lot more doors in early career.
2)He is more technially sound and his ring craft and presence are more patient and precise
3) He's not as cocky! Could change with more wins but who knows!

One guy I was impressed with having watch him recently is Chris Eubank Jr. Seemed very technically sound, knew when to pick his shots and what shots to pick and when to move. He was patient and only made the shots that would count.

I cant think of two careers in British boxing less similar than Khan and Brook to be honest. Lots of fighters look sound until their technique is put under pressure. Brook hasnt thought anyone even close to Petersons standard, not by a mile. Lets see how good he looks when a decent pressure fighter with good hand speed is in his face, he might not look so slick then. Brook has been pro since 2004 and he really has the most padded out record in UK boxing, talk is he isnt a great trainer and none too motivated which is the reason for the lack of big fights. Plenty of people dont like Khan but he has always done his best to keep his career moving forward, including going over to train with Roach. I hope Brook has a big 2012 but his career thus far doesnt really deserve much praise to be honest.
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=272717&cat=boxer
Id also give Fury some credit, he may not be the next Ali but he has the bollocks to get in the ring with guys when he is the underdog and he has come out the winner, hardly anyone gave him a prayer against Chisora and he won pretty comfortably in the end.

diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandFries Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:11 pm

It was a good fight, and very close, Khan can have no complaints about the deductions, he was warned numerous times.... but

What really got me was his attitude afterwards! As violent a sport as boxing is, on the whole boxers are complete gentlemen afterwards, but in his graceless interview, in which he accused the ref and judges of cheating and basically slagged off the entiure city of Washington DC, he showed his true colours......

and he wonders why people find it hard to like him
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm

No, he wasnt great after the fight JD. I watched it, thought he was treated a bit harsh. Pushing someone off is a foul but so is barging and holding to cause the need to push someone off.
diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandFries Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Peterson wasn't doing anything wrong, he is allowed to put his head on his chest, and he wasn't holding cos he was punching when he got inside.

Kahn showed two things apart from being an extremely sore loser - he has no clue how to box on the inside and he has no idea how to box with his back against the ropes!
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 pm

I dont think it was as clear cut as that throughout the fight JD, Peterson was also hitting pretty low and could have been called for a second knockdown in the first. As Roach says how often do you see a guy have points deducted for what Khan was doing ? Never, Mayweather does it all the time.
But you are right, he needs to get a lot tighter on boxing inside, or just avoid doing it at all rather than hang on the ropes like he tends to. He has the skills to stay on his bike.
And he is a sore loser but I think most fighters would have had something to say after that decision. I think he will take peterson in a rematch though.

diggers
diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandFries Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 pm

I hope Peterson doesnt offer him a re-match, wouldnt if he had been so disrespectful about my hometown!

All refs are different, and as much as Roach and Khan will complain, the ref gave plenty of warnings, hell even Jim Watt heard them!!

As for Mayweather, he slips most things and rarely gets tied up, that is why he is so good!

Khan complained all night, he seems more intent on proving he has a decent chin, than boxing to his strengths, there were times when Peterson couldnt get near him - Khan only has himself and his ego to blame!
JDandFries
JDandFries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum