Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best cars for golf equipment.

+12
Davie
Gareth_NI
oldparwin
1grumpygolfer
venice1
ChrisGG
LondonJonnyO
Mary
drive4show
Maverick1980
GWR-Golfer
super_realist
16 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

Best cars for golf equipment. Empty Best cars for golf equipment.

Post by super_realist Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 am

What are the best and worse cars in your experience for getting your gear and mates in and out of. Which makes models are the best for space/comfort and which do you struggle with.
I.e Do you have to put seats down, take driver and 3 wood out out, clubs on the back seat, put your mates on the roof rack etc?

I've never had a VW Golf, but they always seem inadequate in the respect of being able to cater for golf.
super_realist
super_realist

Back to top Go down

Best cars for golf equipment. Empty Re: Best cars for golf equipment.

Post by GWR-Golfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:09 am

I have a Honda Civic Type R - not the best for an electric trolly and the clubs - I have to take my driver & 3 wood out of the bag as they won't fit crossways.

but I luv the car .... even if it's at the car doctor being repaired when some prat backed into me gggrrr
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:13 am

Interesting point actually!

My old range rover that I had until 3 weeks ago was very good for getting my electric trolley and tour bag in. Was also able to fit in a couple of mates carry bags!

Recently sold the Range Rover and ordered a Q7. Whilst awaiting delivery I had a 2 week period of no car so had to use Mrs Mavs 207GTi(or git as I like to call) absolutely useless have to take out driver, 3wood and hybrid then put clubs on backseat and trolley in boot! What's even more awkward being 3 door is then getting a tour bag off the back seats!!!! It was an exercise of military proportions just to get ready for a round of golf!

The worst I've seen is the MGTF(hairdressers car) guy at my club has one and he has clubs leaning agains passenger seat!

Took delivery of my Q7 on Thursday got it fully loaded don't think there an optional extra I didn't have put in which is why it took so long to arrive. I've tested the space can fit in 2 electric trolleys, 2 tour bags and 3 carry bags as well as holdalls if needed for a day out! Adde d to this everyone gets their own personal DVD player and everyones a winner.

Now to order the mrs a ford SMAX this week and I'll have 2 cars for golf gear and part time children ferrying ;)
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 am

I've got a 3 series, plenty of space for trolley, cart bag, battery etc. But only for 1 person. Can fit several carry bags in the boot.
Girlfriend has an A3, awful for golf gear! Can't fit a driver in the boot at all, have to lay it across the back seats.

Gives new meaning to back seat driver I guess!!
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:30 am

Thanks for that info Mav - I've currently got a 207 Sport, which fits the clubs in the boot (driver and woods out) and leccie trolley behind the passenger seat. Have been considering changing to the convertable 207 for the summer but was wondering about how the clubs would fit in. It's now been crossed off my list!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:33 am

My little celica wasn't that bad. I could get a big cart bag (driver and 3wood out of the bag laying on top of the bag), my electric trolley and a carry bag of the ringers. If he brought his trolley it was seat down time though.

Hoping for more from the x-type as it should be a lot more spacious.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:46 am

My Fiesta isn't brilliant. Can get 2 sets in the boot if you take the woods out. However, trolleys complicate things considerably.
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:23 am

As a comment on the sad state of affairs concerning gas guzzlers, SoCal's golf course parking lots seem to be filled with a good 50% of SUV's. I myself have a Ford Explorer 2 door. These damn vehicles are a golfer's dream. 4 sets of clubs? Very little problem. I predominantly walk so it's easy to throw my full set with a collapsable ClicGear push/pull cart in the back, slam the rear hatch door down and move on within less than a minute. Never have to worry about banging someone else's car side door. My friend has a hybrid Honda and it's small and worthless and a pain to get in and out. I would pour sugar in the gas tank if I could find where it gets fed. Have to be careful not to smash the driver and 3 wood heads while loading or unloading.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:27 am

When I was back in Germany I had a 99 corvette. Not that was a bugger for getting your sticks into. The roof went in the boot so the clubs were then relegated to the passenger seat. No back seat so that option was out for any extras. It was me plus my sticks and no passengers at all!

That said it went like a stabbed rat (or possibly a newcomer the morning after one of my samosas) and I truly enjoyed it... right up until it crashed.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 am

It crashed, was it the Y2K bug?

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:39 am

Just got rid of my 5 door Laguna, very large boot, and bought a vauxhall vectra 5 door boot not as large but my clubs and trolley fit in nicely
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:45 am

VW Polo and Audi A3 are hopeless. Have to remove woods and zig zag them across boot or place back seat, don't use a trolley, can just about squeeze 2 bags/clubs in both cars via above method.

Not sure which motor I'll go for next but a bigger boot is a must! Possibly an A4, may even bring clubs along with me to test suitability!! :D

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 am

Gareth - when I test drove the 207 I took the clubs along in the boot of my old car, so that I could also test drive the boot space. I don't think the salesman had had this query from a female before! flower
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:00 am

Mary wrote:Gareth - when I test drove the 207 I took the clubs along in the boot of my old car, so that I could also test drive the boot space. I don't think the salesman had had this query from a female before! flower

And now we have another example of why the ladies are taking over control of the world. queen scratch

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 am

Mary, its so simple. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind when I bought my last car, will definitely be testing the boot space next time though, will save frustration and a few mins to carefully position the clubs (especially on cold mornings)!

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:23 am

I used to have an old Mondeo. Two sets (plus trolleys) no problem in the boot. Three sets plus overnight gear with one half of the rear seats put down (and still room for 3 people)

Got a Focus now and that still takes two sets plus trolleys using half the back seat - only the drivers need to be taken out of the bag and laid across the top

Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:28 am

Some years ago, I had a Volvo 760 estate, Bags, trollies and gear for 4 and the people, plus half a course with ease and still room to lose a couple of black labs in there.

Mind you, it was a turbo petrol, so it needed a fuel station attached to the back as well. clown
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:56 am

Have a cls and can get 4 carry bags in length ways with woods taken out or what is the norm, 1 Leccy trolley with tour bag and 1 clic gear with tour bag

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 pm

1grumpygolfer wrote:It crashed, was it the Y2K bug?

Faulty manufacturing. The axle was poorly cast and it snapped whilst driving at 30mph causing a wheel to come off and the car to spin. It was the drive wheel as well so no chance really.

Got the full purchase price back on the car plus a bit more. It was that obvious they had liability.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:33 am

This is an interesting one, because most modern cars (unless they are estates, 4 x 4s, or people carriers) don't have the boot capacity that cars of yesteryear had (imho). I can just about squash a cart bag into the boot of my Fiesta if I remove Driver, 3-wood and Hybrid, but cannot get anything else in. Dropping the back seats on a hatch is ok for going to and from your own club, BUT you look at the small-print on your golf insurance and I'll bet you a pound to a pinch that the policy will cease to cover your kit if it is not locked in a closed boot, with the back-seats locked in place. So if you leave kit in the carpark or stop at a service station en-route to an away-day or weekender and some little scrote decides to break in and half-inch your kit off the back seat, you won't be covered. pale
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:15 am

GWR-Golfer wrote:I have a Honda Civic Type R - not the best for an electric trolly and the clubs - I have to take my driver & 3 wood out of the bag as they won't fit crossways.

but I luv the car .... even if it's at the car doctor being repaired when some prat backed into me gggrrr

I've got a type-r too (the new shape but previously had the old shape). I rarely actually have the back seats up, with the seats down they have acres of space. When we went to a 3 ball team comp in Saunton last year, 3 of us and all our kit (bags trolleys etc) fitted in no problem (had the small back seat up).

Best vehicle I ever had for ease of transporting me , my golf mates and all our kit was a toyota Hilux (transports a 4ball in spacious comfort)...never gets there as quick as a type-r though ;)
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down