Golfv2
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Golf and Next Years action plans

+6
Mercurio
drive4show
Del_Boy
Mary
Doc
Maverick1980
10 posters

Golfv2 :: Golf :: Golf :: Saved Stuff

Go down

Winter Golf and Next Years action plans Empty Winter Golf and Next Years action plans

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:17 am

So guys, girls and real oddballs

Winter golf is the order of the season, so time to wrap up warm and brave weather that'd freeze the cojones off a brass monkey. Will you be braving it or are you a fair weather fairy who cannot play in anything less than warm weather.

What are you working on for next year to improve and what will you be doing to get the results....

Am working on my action plan so will post it once I finalise it tomorrow
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Winter Golf and Next Years action plans Empty Re: Winter Golf and Next Years action plans

Post by Doc Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 am

I'll be out as long as it's not a 14 club breeze, or a monsoon, or snow, Don't mind freezing my nags off because sometimes when the fairways are like concrete I can get it out over 60-yards.

I play all year around, so as long as the course is open and no stupid winter greens up the sides of hills, I'm in. I remember a thread we had about this time last year, about playing in soggy conditions. I was having trouble as i seemed to be taking divots which hindered the shot and made most too fat. At the time I mentioned that I don't normally take a divot, and thanks to the advice I got on the dark side, I've had a fairly successful year with it. So it seems people can actually pick up good tips from these forums :P
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Winter Golf and Next Years action plans Empty Re: Winter Golf and Next Years action plans

Post by Mary Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I usually play every weekend, whatever the weather.

My main plan for the winter is to work on my short game. I'm never going to be a long hitter, but I'm fairly accurate off the tee and with my fairway woods, so it is the game around the green where I have the most realistic chance of improving my handicap. We have a good short game practice area at my club, so not really any excuses not to do this. My main problem is the lure of actually going on the course rather than the practice ground!
Mary
Mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Will be playing all year round. Aim to work on accuracy off the tee. I also play in shorts all year round.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:27 pm

Del_Boy wrote:Will be playing all year round. Aim to work on accuracy off the tee. I also play in shorts all year round.

Shorts? Christ man are you jacobs!!!!!

I notice you mentioned being a kent boy! Am I right in thinking on the other place you said you played at west malling...

I was a member there as an intermediate many moons ago. Not played there for a while now. Personal preference is the hurricane course.

Some good holes on the spitfire like the 5th and 8th. Also like the 11th, 12th and 16th. But for me the 14th really let's that course down.

Is Duncan Lamber still head pro! Always was a nice fella and can't remember his surname but used to play a hell of a lot with the assistant there barry nice guy.

The highlight though was many a battle(losing battles) with Sam Piggott round the hurricane, simply the best golfer to come out of there his name litters the boards and could he play if you don't know him ask about him and you'll see how good he was.

Give you an idea of his play the 13th on the hurrican he used to aim over the trees on the right carry the lot and hit his drives onto the back of the green! Now considering the height of those trees, the dog leg to the right off the tee and length of the hole never mind the carry he had to achieve to do it, it simply was astounding everytime.

I remember them having the Yonex long drive team down there one year and they had a members challenge where you took on the long drive team! He out drove every one of them they couldn't get with 20yards of him. He went off to play Euro Pro tour and still is a good bloke
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:
Del_Boy wrote:Will be playing all year round. Aim to work on accuracy off the tee. I also play in shorts all year round.

Shorts? Christ man are you jacobs!!!!!

I notice you mentioned being a kent boy! Am I right in thinking on the other place you said you played at west malling...

I was a member there as an intermediate many moons ago. Not played there for a while now. Personal preference is the hurricane course.

Some good holes on the spitfire like the 5th and 8th. Also like the 11th, 12th and 16th. But for me the 14th really let's that course down.

Is Duncan Lamber still head pro! Always was a nice fella and can't remember his surname but used to play a hell of a lot with the assistant there barry nice guy.

The highlight though was many a battle(losing battles) with Sam Piggott round the hurricane, simply the best golfer to come out of there his name litters the boards and could he play if you don't know him ask about him and you'll see how good he was.

Give you an idea of his play the 13th on the hurrican he used to aim over the trees on the right carry the lot and hit his drives onto the back of the green! Now considering the height of those trees, the dog leg to the right off the tee and length of the hole never mind the carry he had to achieve to do it, it simply was astounding everytime.

I remember them having the Yonex long drive team down there one year and they had a members challenge where you took on the long drive team! He out drove every one of them they couldn't get with 20yards of him. He went off to play Euro Pro tour and still is a good bloke

Have been told I'm a bit made with the shorts but just get too god damn hot must have been a postie in a previous life.

Yes WM is my club and some cracking holes on the hurricane unfortunately not any more. They used to lease the land that made up the 4th and had the 13th and 15th tee on them. Rent went through the roof so they have decided to squeeze other holes in elsewhere. Plans don't look that great with a loaf of short holes and the 16 th ( long par 5) gone. Will wait and see what it is like when finished in Feb and then decide whether to go elsewhere. Duncan is still the head pro and an all round good egg.

Sam I still a legend at the club and that is some feat at the 13 th.

Where do you play

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:01 pm

So what about the holes over the road! 6, 7, 8,9, 10,11 and 12? Are they still in tact!

I take it that means it affects holes such as 5,13,14 and 15 as well as 16th!

That's total butchery! I loved that section of the course real tough tight finish 14th was a great chance at eagle but easily a bogey too if you balls up the tee shot or put your approach in the ditch!

I'm guessing the entire 15th will be gone then! As for pulling apart the 16th if memory serves me right that used to play about 610yards from the championship tees long tough but good and fair par 5! I'm almost shedding a mansized tear at pulling apart thos sections of the course.

What have they got planned then for the restructuring and what's the par going to be! If their looking at rerouting with the land available they will really ruin a hidden gem in kents crown! Pains me to say it but makes me not want to return to a lovely club! Hope it works out well!

I'm at bearstead at the moment but considering a move eslewhere as few recent events from the committee toward members is putting me off! That and the hike in fees! May look at kingshill or Wrotham heath
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:So what about the holes over the road! 6, 7, 8,9, 10,11 and 12? Are they still in tact!

That's total butchery! I loved that section of the course real tough tight finish 14th was a great chance at eagle but easily a bogey too if you balls up the tee shot or put your approach in the ditch!

I'm guessing the entire 15th will be gone then! As for pulling apart the 16th if memory serves me right that used to play about 610yards from the championship tees long tough but good and fair par 5! I'm almost shedding a mansized tear at pulling apart thos sections of the course.

What have they got planned then for the restructuring and what's the par going to be! If their looking at rerouting with the land available they will really ruin a hidden gem in kents crown! Pains me to say it but makes me not want to return to a lovely club! Hope it works out well!

I'm at bearstead at the moment but considering a move eslewhere as few recent events from the committee toward members is putting me off! That and the hike in fees! May look at kingshill or Wrotham heath

Yes it does sound as if it's going to be a total pigs ear. You'll come off the 4th Par 3 then walk up to a new tee near the 17th and play to the old 13th green, this is likely to be a short par 4 at best. Then near the old 13th green there is a new tee playing to the old 14th green this will be a par 4. Then over the road (all holes there are as is but there is talk some maybe extended possibly the old 11th turned into a par 5.

So once finished over the road you will come to the old par 3 15th where the tee is moved pretty much into the back garden of the house that was there.

The next hole will use the championship tee of the old par 5 16th playing to a new green in the middle of the existing 14th fairway. Hole after that will be a short walk back up the old 16th fairway toward the cluster of trees as you were coming up the drive, here there will be a new tee box playing to the old 16th green.

As you say it is more than likely to be carnage with a loss of a fair few members. Par for the course hasn't been released yet but I can't see it being more than a short 68 which is a crying shame as it used to be a cracking 70.

I've looked at Bearsted, Kingshill, Wrotham etc as well my main issue is teeing off in the morning. I love to tee-off at first light in the summer I'll tee-off at 4, 430 but there aren't that many courses that will let you do that.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Del_Boy wrote:
Maverick1980 wrote:So what about the holes over the road! 6, 7, 8,9, 10,11 and 12? Are they still in tact!

Yes it does sound as if it's going to be a total pigs ear. You'll come off the 4th Par 3 then walk up to a new tee near the 17th and play to the old 13th green, this is likely to be a short par 4 at best. Then near the old 13th green there is a new tee playing to the old 14th green this will be a par 4. Then over the road (all holes there are as is but there is talk some maybe extended possibly the old 11th turned into a par 5.

So once finished over the road you will come to the old par 3 15th where the tee is moved pretty much into the back garden of the house that was there.

The next hole will use the championship tee of the old par 5 16th playing to a new green in the middle of the existing 14th fairway. Hole after that will be a short walk back up the old 16th fairway toward the cluster of trees as you were coming up the drive, here there will be a new tee box playing to the old 16th green.

As you say it is more than likely to be carnage with a loss of a fair few members. Par for the course hasn't been released yet but I can't see it being more than a short 68 which is a crying shame as it used to be a cracking 70.

I've looked at Bearsted, Kingshill, Wrotham etc as well my main issue is teeing off in the morning. I love to tee-off at first light in the summer I'll tee-off at 4, 430 but there aren't that many courses that will let you do that.

Sounds like a complete hash up of a design! Who they got in to do that! So there reducing a championship standard course for both length, layout and condition to little more than what sounds like an average to short length course even its members have no interest in.

One of the great things about the hurricane was it had good tough holes interlaced with real birdie opportunites now sounds like a pretty unjouyable disjointed walk round what's left!

Avoid our place mate, lots looking to leave as their getting nore restrictive on tee times! Like you as a member I want to be able to turn up anytime and play when I want it makes it more homely and getting bounce games with whoevers there rather than regimented tee times and groupings.

I've been here just a year having moved back up this way from littlestone but am not happy with the place, the course is lovely the powers that be are ruining my enjoyment
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Maverick1980 wrote:
Del_Boy wrote:

Sounds like a complete hash up of a design! Who they got in to do that! So there reducing a championship standard course for both length, layout and condition to little more than what sounds like an average to short length course even its members have no interest in.

One of the great things about the hurricane was it had good tough holes interlaced with real birdie opportunites now sounds like a pretty unjouyable disjointed walk round what's left!

Avoid our place mate, lots looking to leave as their getting nore restrictive on tee times! Like you as a member I want to be able to turn up anytime and play when I want it makes it more homely and getting bounce games with whoevers there rather than regimented tee times and groupings.

I've been here just a year having moved back up this way from littlestone but am not happy with the place, the course is lovely the powers that be are ruining my enjoyment

To be honest not sure who the designer is, probably the greenkeepers!! Must have been tough leaving Littlestone lovely course that is. Another local one that I'm looking at having been a memeber there before is Sittingbourne.

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 pm

I'll be out on the fairways right through the winter, the only thing that puts me off is rain...hate playing in the rain. I just can't seem to control the club. Don't mind the cold, can wrap up against that. Sometimes it's just good to be out on the course with mates having a good time, forget about trying to make a score.

Breathe, relax, enjoy.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:44 pm

I feel close to going up a level (becoming single figures) and feel a good winter could get me there.

I've no formal plan yet, though, but I'm interested in seeing what Mav's got lined up.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick1980 Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49 pm

I'm formulting my plan to take over the world as we speak... Well getting dragged round bluewater working on my games next step plan whilst having sneaky glimpses at the milfs wandering on by
Maverick1980
Maverick1980

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Mercurio wrote:
I've no formal plan yet, though, but I'm interested in seeing what Mav's got lined up.

Eating pies I think afro
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Have gone up over recent years from 7 to 11. Have been spraying it too much at my new club and have tried all sorts of things. The last few weeks I have not been hitting at the ball (especially into the wind) and as a result I am hitting it straighter and any "misses" are less wild. Something to work on over the winter and also more familiarity with the course and the greens should help me get back to single figures. Exact is 10.7 so need a couple of good results to do that.Fingers crossed! cheers
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 pm

Is the new course trickier than the old one, Faldo?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:02 am

It is Merc. My old course a good test, but it was shorter and I was really familiar with it having spent 24 happy years there. My new one has a eurpro event each year and is long and tricky. It's 7665 yards off the black tees.We only play that once a year thank goodness.Usually off the whites it's 6750 yards, but there is water on 7 holes and danger on almost every hole.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:09 am

faldo

I've played your place a couple of times, it really can be a brute from the backs. Love the par 5 where you cross the road then the par 3 that follows. Another great hole is the early par 4 where you drive to a bit of an island fairway then back across the water to the green, about the 3rd or 4th??
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:14 am

D4S. Yes that would be the 3rd. I have run up some cricket scores on that hole and allowed it to get into my head early doors. It's particularly tricky when it's into the wind. Even when you get to the green it's no bargain and have 4 putted it and 3 putted it regularly. The par 5 that crosses the road is the 15th which I have also struggled with, but love the 16th and seem to play that one well. It's a challenging course, but one I can get better on hopefully!
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:18 am

I'm not a long hitter so I think I'll avoid the very back tees!!
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:19 am

Mr Faldofan... It looks like there is a strong possibility of me spending time in Bristol shortly.

So... golf?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:24 am

faldo

God help you if he brings along the chilli samosas No
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:27 am

They're getting better. They are now using my homegrown versions in my orders.

You'll love em. The seeds came from Dorset originally.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 am

LJ - You are very welcome to be my guest any time mate (as you all are). Not sure about the chilli samosas! scratch
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 am

Sounds like the action plan would involve a kit that contains spare strides and emergency bog roll

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 am

Honestly... you say you enjoy food then this. These things are a delicacy enjoyed by few! They are an invite only dish at my local you know!

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:35 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Honestly... you say you enjoy food then this. These things are a delicacy enjoyed by few! They are an invite only dish at my local you know!

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed them. But hardly the sort of thing to unleash on new friends without any warning. Especially if you haven't checked to see if they have private medical care before attempting to eat one.
drive4show
drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:37 am

drive4show wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Honestly... you say you enjoy food then this. These things are a delicacy enjoyed by few! They are an invite only dish at my local you know!

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed them. But hardly the sort of thing to unleash on new friends without any warning. Especially if you haven't checked to see if they have private medical care before attempting to eat one.

I provide a disclaimer!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1grumpygolfer Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:39 am

What hidden on a microdot on your scorecard?

1grumpygolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:40 am

As long as it's signed I'm in the clear. cheers
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:53 am

I'll be playing every week - Winter League over 12 holes. Already had 4 weeks and have recorded 28, 30, 25, and 27 points so far. It gets me out and keeps the swing moving and I actually like be out playing when it's "bracing".
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:12 am

Maverick1980 wrote:I'm formulting my plan to take over the world as we speak... Well getting dragged round bluewater working on my games next step plan whilst having sneaky glimpses at the milfs wandering on by

Is it busy at blue water just on my way up there after a bar afternoon in the pub. My better half is already up there and already made a few trips back and forth to the car

Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down